Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Perfect Dinner!

Turkey Pesto Meatballs w/Homemade Marinara and Grilled Yellow Squash (&& Whole Grain Pasta for the Boys)

I have been following this fun website called weelicious since I was pregnant with Kaylee. She has some really delicious recipes, super fun ideas for kiddos, and everything is pretty darn healthy or easy to sub for healthy stuff.

I will post each recipe separately!

Turkey Pesto Meatballs
1 1/4 Lb. Ground Lean Turkey
1/4 Cup Pesto (I used pre-made stuff but next batch plan to make pesto from scratch)
1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
1 Tsp Salt
2 Cups Marinara Sauce

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place all the ingredients (except for the marinara sauce) in a bowl and using your hands, combine until everything is incorporated.
3. Using about 1 tablespoon of the mixture per meatball, roll into balls and place on a plate.
4. Pour the marinara sauce into a 9 x 9 inch baking pan and top with the meatballs.
5. Cover the baking pan with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
6. Serve.

*Roll into balls and place on a cookie sheet and freeze. After 30 minutes place the par-frozen balls in a ziploc bag, label and freeze. When ready, defrost in fridge for 24 hours or put them straight in the oven with sauce increasing cooking time by 5 minutes.

I only had an 8x8 pan so I made 25 (5x5) meatballs and used about 1 3/4th a cup sauce instead of 2.
I had extras and made about 15-20 meatballs that I froze.

Marinara
2 cups canned crush tomatoes
4 leaves of Basil, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chooped
1/4 c olives chopped

Mixed them all together and placed in the bottom of the baking dish for meatballs but you could also just put in a pan and boil for a bit.

Grilled Yellow Squash
(This is one of my fav things ever and it's also totally delicious with zucchini!!)

I use my george foreman grill but it's even better on a real grill!! Anyways slice up the squash or zucchini (or both!) at whatever thickness you prefer (I do a little of everything but prefer the slices a little on the thick side) and spray both sides with the olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle both sides with a little garlic salt and throw on the grill for a few minutes (cooking time will vary for how thick your cut them). About half way through flip over and cook a few more minutes. When they are done pull them off (I usually junk hunk them all together) spray with a little spray butter, sprinkle with a LITTLE parm cheese (it's delicious but not the healthiest haha!) and a tad more garlic salt... and then... ENJOY!

For the boys I cooked some whole wheat pasta up and then put the yellow squash on top of the pasta and the meatballs and a tad bit of sauce on top.


Then for myself, because I am trying to cut back my grains, I just poured on the squash and then the meatballs and like a tablespoon of sauce on top! It was sooo good and I love the squash soo much I didn't even miss the grains (or the bloated overly full feeling I usually get after!)


Enjoy! I know we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...