Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

How to make it all work?!

As you all know, my Sailorman and I are currently in escrow on our first home in Maryland. It is an extremely exciting time for us, but it is also extremely stressful! Thankfully we have a wonderful realtor who has really stepped up to the plate and taken care of so many things before I even have to ask! This has been especially important to me because our house in Maryland, I am in Minnesota, and my husband is deployed! Anyways, when my husband got orders to Maryland we decided we wanted to do an individual PCS move so that I could move and live with my family in Minnesota for a while (we are stationed in San Diego currently). When we got orders in August, Sailorman was scheduled to deploy the only thing was that the date kept changing! Sometimes it was November, sometimes it was January, sometimes it was March, and sometimes they didn't know if they were going! (Typical right?) Well, we already knew that they ship was going to be gone all of October and then leave shortly after. For the month of October I was already planning on coming to Minnesota, and then in Jan (the at the time most current guess of departure) I was going to come live in Minnesota. Well when we started working out all the logistics we realized that it would be much easier for me to just come here in October so that while the hubs was away I had some help with the munchkin and only had to focus on her and homework. So little by little we started to pack up our stuff, sell the furniture, and get everything ready for 2 moves, the first one being a partial and temp move to Minnesota, and the second one being further off to our new home Maryland. It was a crazy time, but it all came together pretty nicely. We sold most of our big furniture, only keeping the contents of our house and munchkin's  furniture. We put it all into a big box storage unit where we paid for them to store it and then could pay for them to ship it when the time came.

Well that's where we are currently at, it is almost time to ship our goods from San Diego to Maryland! Which is an easy no brainer task I will call them tell them where I want it when and off it will go! The difficulty now is in how to get my daughter, myself, and all the stuff we have accumulated in the last 6 months! Originally SailorMan was supposed to be coming home in the spring for his PCS date which would make the move easy-peasy (sort-of!) he would fly out of where ever they are, arrive in San Diego then fly to Minnesota, and then we would drive to MD. However, as it would typically be in our military community, that isn't set in stone and the date seems to change everyday. This I have come to terms with and I know that whenever he gets home he gets home, but I have to go to Maryland with the little one and get our house in order within 45 days of closing on the house. So my second dad is going to help make that happen! He is going to drive my car and then a few days later the baby and I will fly in to meet him! He's going to stay a few days to help me get my stuff out of storage and get some things in order with getting furniture etc because as you know from reading above.. we sold every piece of furniture we owned except the baby's stuff! This however is a good thing because none of the furniture we owned would have fit into the house we bought!

Anyways, that's still all the easy stuff and decisions. We still haven't decided how to get all our stuff to MD! Well, actually we have, but it still seems crazy to me! We were planning to have a hitch put on our car and then tow a small u-haul trailer, but after research discovered that our car just isn't built to properly operate with a uhaul even if it could we would run the risk of messing it up. That obviously wasn't an option anymore so we started to look into others things. We shipped 3 boxes here before we moved via UPS and it cost almost 150 dollars so we obviously didn't want to go that route again. What we did discover is that the post office offer freight parcel service that costs about 40 a box for big boxes. It's going to be a little pricey, but still will be cheaper than putting a hitch on the car, renting a trailer, and potentially ruining our transmission or something!

So my task for the next few weeks is to get some boxes, and go down to the storage in the basement and start sorting through all of our storage bins. We have a few of them that whenever my room that my daughter and I are sharing would get too full of stuff we didn't need currently I would load into storage bins. So they are all mixed with random clutter. My job is to sort through them and figure out what can go where and when and see a rough estimate of how many boxes we are going to need. I am looking forward to this because it will help me feel a little more prepared and in control of what's going on!

So that's the update! We close in a few weeks and will be moving a few week after that! Lots to get done in the mean time. Here's to hoping it all goes relatively smoothly and that SailorMan gets to come sooner rather then later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...